Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday morning- P.2

Melinda had a group of friends in jr. high, now, however, she is Outcast because of what happened at the party. I remember my transition between middle school and high school. It was awkward, to say the least, because I stood out already so much physically (I was already 6 ft tall in the 8th grade). I remember playing volleyball and really liking it before starting freshman year, yet when I tried to make friends with the girls on the team, most of them were already busy with their own childhood friends. Also, my family went on a trip through Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada the summer before 9th grade. I missed out on many of the "summer" activities because I was riding around the western U.S. a road trip with my folks. My first day of school was filled with social displacement until I connected with my choir friends. Suddenly, I remembered why I loved my fellow musician-dorks. They were all pretty much as socially awkward as I was! What are some of the things you see Melinda learning about friendship in the book SPEAK? What have you learned about friendship during your freshman year? How do we choose our friends and who we spend time with? Is it a choice, or is it a natural occurrence? Post your thoughts on these questions.

9 comments:

nancyy said...

I learn that you have to learn who you're real freinds are.Who to trust.People aren't always what they seem.Freshman year is going okay but it could be better.I spend my time with who ever is cool to be with and I can talk to because I don't like being with quiet people because they are boring!!!!!But I dont mind people who don't talk it's just it be better if they did. :)

Kutey said...

I think that Melinda learns that friendships just sucked because her friends just left her for nothing.I lesrned that you can never trust anyone,because their are always going to be backstabbers and people like that.I choose my friends by seeing how their attitude is.I think that it is natural occurrence because you just know who to hang out with.

*Mayra Lokz* said...

WHAT I LEARNED IS THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE THERE FOR THE PEOPLE THAT TRUST YOU AND THAT YOU TRUST.THE COOL THING IS THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS LOOK FOR REAL FRIENDS THAT THEY DON'T TALK THINGS BEHING YOR BACK OR SREAD OUT RUMORS THAT ARE NOT TRUE. WELL FRESHMEN YEAR IS GOING OUT REALLY GOOD. ITS JUST COOL BECAUSE I AM HANGING OUT WITH MY HOMEGURLS AND HOMIES AND JUST HAVING A GOOD TIME KICKING IT.

Anonymous said...

WHAT I SEE IN MALINDA LEARNING ABOUT FRIENDSHIP IN THE BOOK OF SPEAK IS THAT SHE DOSNT LIKE TO BE ALONE BUT SHE JUST CANT FIND A FRIEND THAT SHE CAN TRUST AS SHE DID TO HER EX-BEST FRIENDS.WHAT I LEARNED DURING THIS FREHMEN YEAR IS THAT AT FIRST YOU MAY BE ALL QUIET AND NERVOUS BECAUSE YOUR NEW TO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL AND PROBABLY YOU WONT KNOW SOMEONE!!!!! I REALLY DONT CARE WHAT TYPES OF FRIENDS I HAVE I JUST LOOK FOR FRIENDS THAT ARE COOL TO ME AND NOT TO BE MEAN. FOR ME ITS A NATURAL OCCURENCE.

pam said...

What i learn is that some friends are not for life even though you want them to be.Also you have to choose who are you going to hangaroud.

Marco. said...

i learned that people change. you can't blame them though, people just want to fit in. everyone wants to fit in.

Anonymous said...

I think friends are always going to be cool but some could stick to you in bads and goods but some just leave you the way i look at it well its like your true friends are make you do the right things and they help you out threw it and the way they treat you so i think melinda did the right thing if i was in her pants i would just do hat makes me happy if my buddys were like that i would just leave them before they leave me....by Natalie the silly one

Anonymous said...

I learn that Melinda don't have any friends because she doesn't even talk. I am kind of the same, I don't talk at my other classes because I don't know no one. I talk in Ms.Crabtree's class because I do know people. I think I should start talking more so I could have more friends.
By: Rosalio Ibarra

M. Crabtree said...

Wow...some very thoughtful writing on friendship and what you have learned during your first months of high school. Now, what do you think Melinda has learned? We have talked about this in class, can you sum it up in your comments, too? Did Melinda choose to have no friends, or did it just kind of happen to her?