Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wintergirls...

Although we are not very familiar with the idea of winter around here in southern CA, I thought this book held fascinating ideas of how dealing with anorexia (or bulemia)- or any other serious mental health issue seems to limit the sufferer to only dealing with life as if in a wintry haze. The protagonist of the book, a term I use loosely, because sometimes you feel so frustrated with Lia as a character that you wish she would just fade into nothingness like she seems to want to do, Lia, is a girl who is lost in the winter of her deeper issues: control, self-inflicted stress and worry, and the idea that if she stays pure, she will win the war against the forces working against her.

2 comments:

joshua.h 11 said...

that sounds like a good book and i myself have also never really experienced winter but i can relate to how she needs to stay pure to beat forces i think the meaning is if she can control herself it can give her the strength to defeat those forces Ive had to stay pure to play basket ball because if i get angry sad or any other emotion my dedication leaves a bit every time and i can ruin the game

Selene said...

This book sounds facinating.I never seen or experience winter.Maybe reading this book might give me hints on how winter feels like.I'll want to read this book!