Thursday, December 03, 2009

Highlights and Lowlights of Reading so far this fall...

Well, the good news is that I have several books that I am really excited to be reading...Wintergirls (almost finished) by Laurie Halse Anderson, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (halfway through it) and we have finished reading and are working on our final project for Speak in my 9th grade English classes. I am very happy, at this point, to be finished with Speak, though I love the book, and I honestly find more literary devices in that book everytime I read it, reading it with about 100 9th graders over three months does make one a little tired of a novel after awhile. Though I think it is incredible that books like Speak are still being written, when it is easier to just, y'know write about vampires or something like that. The Lovely Bones is a book where you expect it to be about one thing, but actually find that it is about something else. I thought this story would be about a family's vengeance, unforgiveness, and tragedy...although it contains all of these things, the focus is given instead to recovery, hope, and healing. What an awesome way to write a book that starts out with a tragedy. I am not saying that some parts are not creepy and dark...they are, but the descriptions unravel the darkness by highlighting different methods of coping with reality. If you like reading about families, "true-life" tales, and coming of age- read this book! It is a page-turner and I can't wait to finish it.

12 comments:

Kojibusa said...

It's great to take an interest in books. Reading can always help expand your vocabulary and knowledge. More importantly, reading books may get you prepared for college because you're going to be reading a lot soon. Also, it was nice to see another book written by the same author who made Speak.

YanYanCookie[: said...

I think you should have explained a bit about the book, whether you like it or not. The Lovely Bones sounds like an interesting book. I would like to read it, because it sounds interesting. WOO ! for weird titles (:

Nataliee' said...

Ms. Crabtree, it's wonderful to hear that you are reading two books! (& that you're at least halfway done.)
Yes we're almost finished with SPEAK completely!!!

angela g. said...

I agree.
You should have explained a bit about the books.

It's crazy how you can read two books at once..

Jose C. said...

A little background info would have been great for both these books but since your reading them they must be interesting and i would like to read another book from Laurie because her books are interesting.

Selene said...

How many books are you reading right now?Seems like you are reading two or three books at the same time.Anyways,the books your reading seems interesting to read but i don't know what their all about.You should talk about the books on what their mainly about. That way people who heard about these books and want to read them.

Lupe J. said...

I've been wanting to read a couple more books from Laurie Halse Anderson. She is a really great author:] Um I've heard of the book The Lovely Bones and i would like to know more about whats it about. I think they're making a movie for it:o

vinsin chen said...

I think it is so cool to keep reading books without stopping. But sometime while I was reading, I felt asleep.

M. Crabtree said...

I also read until I fall asleep, which sometimes means it takes me awhile to read a book. And, right now, I have been so busy that I have had very little time to read. But I'm trying to stick with it. You should too!

Billy said...

The Lovely Bones sounds like an interesting book to read, maybe it should be the next class book. I wonder how it is something where you expect it to be one thing,but turns out to be something else.

Jenerator! said...

Good job Ms. Crabtree With almost being finish with your books. I'm personally done with SPEAK ive read it over so many times; I think I've reached my limit with that novel. I do like it though. I seem pretty interested that book The Lovely Bones. It sounds interesting..i look forward to reading it sometime.

LindaBestie said...

Nice...

Why do you read two books at once? Isn't is nicer to read one book at a time because then you wouldn't have a chance getting confused with the stories by getting mixed up. Besides, once you get over the first book, as in thinking about it and admiring it..., then you can move on and admire another book instead of admiring two books at the same time.
Maybe you just like it that way or can handle and not get mixed up by the stories. o_o Pro. ;)

Anyways, if I were you, I'd be sick of Speak reading it every year for about a semester or half of the semester. :P