Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Connections to other works...

So, on Thursday night, I finally went to see the movie everyone's been talking about- Avatar. I thought it was an entertaining movie, and although I didn't go through "withdrawals" after leaving the world of Pandora, I was interested in the world and the life of the blue aliens. But, I also saw some similar themes and ideas to books that I have read recently. First of all, The Lovely Bones. I felt that the main character, Jake Sully, was very similar to the father character in The Lovely Bones. Both are dealing with a lot of grief, pain, and disappointment. Jake has to face life without the use of his legs and the death of his brother; Mr. Salmon (Jack) has to face life without his eldest daughter after she is murdered. I also see connections between how heroism is portrayed in this movie and how it is portrayed in other books and stories. One example of this is how Jake Sully comes to care about the and is willing to risk his life to help save them. Similarly, we find that Odysseus cares so much about saving his men that he risks his life against multiple challenges in order to try to save them. I think there are lots of heroic qualities that are similar between Avatar's leading characters (not just Jake, but also Trudy, Kate, and Norm) and characters from other works of fiction, such as the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia, and anything having to do with Star Wars. Some of these common traits include commitment, kindness, sacrifice, and the ability to have deep relationships and care deeply about others. And, of course, as we see from Jake in Avatar, Peter in Chronicles, and Aragorn in LOTR, most heroes are also physically well-built.

3 comments:

LindaBestie said...

You seem to watch a lot of things that are once books or novels. Maybe the book introduces you to the movie. :D
I love the movie Avatar, it was awesome. >:D
I really want to watch The Lovely Bones, it seems like a wonderful movie. It seems like the dad cares a lot.
You're one of the teachers that actually watches nice present day movies. :O
~no offense to other teachers~
:3

angelica castillo said...

I loved the movie avatar i thought it was a very cool and unique movie i think that it was cool how you compared the movie with the books you have read and it makes a lot of sense .

Zelda Girl said...

I haven`t watched the Movie Avatar but I heard it was a good Movie....

The Movie Avatar is pretty good (even though I didn`t watch it in theaters but yeah)
I heard the book is better than the movie hahahahaha just kidding I heard the movie is better than the book because its interesting and cool....