Thursday, December 24, 2009

More on Wintergirls...and REAL winter!

I just realized I never finished writing about the books I am reading...well, I have not finished Wintergirls yet, and I think I accidentally left it at school, so I will have to finish that the last week of break after I get home. Also, I haven't had as much time for reading yet this break as I thought I would...so sad. But, the next couple of days I will be reading more because we will settle into relaxing for the holidays, and it is raining and cold outside here in Arkansas. Perfect weather to stay inside and read! I am re-reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. There's a purpose behind this reading (if you're a Decathlete, you'll know why), but I actually enjoy this book because of Dickens' character sketches and political statements. This book is virtually a political treatise in story form. Dickens doesn't really hold back on what he believes, but I think if you read this book from the political commentary lens, it holds more interest and fascination as a viewpoint on a stormy time in the world. It is certainly not his richest storytelling, but that is okay...we all need to diversify, even authors!

1 comment:

AnthonyBC said...

I also think authors should be able to say what they mean and have a right to publish it and let others know what they think. They should have the freedom of opinion and not be judged by others if they think otherwise.