Monday, January 29, 2007

What do you think?

Between the 1st semester and 2nd semester of my freshman year in high school, I experienced some interesting changes and some tough choices. For one, I started playing basketball, which was a tough sport that demanded hours every day, six days a week, of my time. Also, because I played basketball, I got contacts and happily did away with my glasses. I started making friends with older girls that were on the varsity basketball team. But some of the older girls weren't very nice- in fact, they were pretty snobby and could be intimidating. Maybe they weren't taller than me, but they were tougher. My braces came off at the end of my first semester. And, in classes, I was definitely labeled as a "nerd" because I completed all of my homework and easily aced most of the tests. Grades were very important to me because, at some point around this time, I made the decision that I wanted to get out of Visalia, CA as soon as I graduated. But, by deciding to focus on grades and be the top student in most of my classes, I definitely included myself in a group of people that were not, to put it nicely, the coolest kids in school.

Melinda's story shows us about the toughness of survival for some people in high school. Do you think your 9th grade year is the most important year? Why or why not? Do you think Melinda could have changed the way she survived her freshman year- done it differently? Are there things you'd like to change about your freshman year? What about things for next semester? Read other students' posts as well to get a sense of where our class is as a whole. Post a comment expressing your opinion on this questions. We will be discussing your responses next week in class.

3 comments:

***kLuMzY*** said...

well 9th grade for me has been hard but fun at the same time. and yeah it's hard keeping up with stuff but just try your best you know. school rocks but when you make it simple don't give up like others because its going to be too late later on.

***kLuMzY*** said...

well first and second semester is very easy but once you get to the studying and diong projects it gets hard but at the samtime we make school hard if we don't try. .

omgawshh, Nancy (: said...

9th grade is the same thing. But you just have to work as hard. If not harder for a good foundation thingie for the thing. And then like I think 12 grade is the most important because you're about to go bye bye :o!